- January 18 – Steve Sellers becomes Albemarle police chief 
- May 4 – Albemarle Supervisor Ken Boyd states his opposition to ICLEI membership and the Cool Counties initiative, out of concern that continued participation would have a negative impact on citizens by influencing their behavior.  
- June 2 – Chairwoman of the Jefferson Area Tea Party holds press conference to express concern that some sustainability initiatives constitute a "radical political agenda that strives to impose big government-style central planning under the guise of well-intentioned environmentalism." 
- June 8 – Albemarle Board of Supervisors votes 4-2 to withdraw from ICLEI 
- August 28 – Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital officially moves to new facility on Pantops 
- October 27 – A four month NBC12 investigation uncovered major problems with the US Postal Service in central Virginia. An audit of the Sandston Processing and Distribution Center rated the new plant as the least efficient in the country in its first two years. In 2010, 156 million pieces of mail were not delivered on time. Images from inside the plant show delayed mail sitting in a staging area back in June of this year. Another picture from March 9 shows standard mail in a basket. That mail was two weeks old and still hadn't left the post office.
- November 18 – two markers recognizing the "Triumph of the Charlottesville Twelve" was unveiled at Venable Elementary School. Eight of the original twelve students were on hand for ceremonies at Venable and the former site of Lane High School, now the Albemarle County Office Building. On September 5, 1959 Judge Paul had ordered that the twelve students who would become known as "The Charlottesville Twelve" be transferred immediately from their previous schools, all-black Jefferson Elementary School and Jackson P. Burley High School.
- Web. New county police chief pledges citizen engagement, Brandon Shulleeta, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, December 13, 2010, retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Web. Boyd seeks end to Albemarle’s ‘Cool Counties’ initiative and questions joint planning project, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, May 5, 2011, retrieved January 19, 2020.
- Web. County of Albemarle, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Minutes, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors, Albemarle County, May 4, 2011, retrieved February 5, 2021.
- Web. Local activists call for public action on environmental and sustainability initiatives, Brian Wheeler, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 2, 2011, retrieved January 19, 2020.
- Web. Supervisors drop ICLEI membership but renew grant commitment, Sean Tubbs, Charlottesville Tomorrow, June 9, 2011, retrieved January 18, 2020.
- Web. Martha Jefferson moves every patient to new hospital, Sharon C. Fitzgerald, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, August 28, 2011, retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Web. Audit reveals problems at Sandston mail facility, Rachel DePompa and Eric Blackstock, News Article, nbc12.com, Richmond, VA, October 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM EDT - Updated June 25 at 8:02 PM, retrieved August 3, 2020.
- Web. Charlottesville 12 historical markers' text, Historical marker text, Daily Progress, Lee Enterprises, Nov 19, 2011, retrieved Nov 22, 2011. Print. Nov 20, 2011 page A6.